Car rental requirements in Costa Rica include the following: Renters must be at least 23 years old and have a valid driver’s license and passport. International driver’s licenses are required when a renter’s license is in a different alphabet such as Mandarin. A major credit card is required to make the vehicle deposit and rental payment. And you cannot pay for your rental with cash.
Table of contents
- Requirements for Renting a Car with Adobe Rent a Car
- Which are the basic car rental requirements?
- How much is the security deposit?
- Can I pay with cash?
- Why do I have to present my passport?
- Why do I have to present my driver’s license if I already have an International License?
- What if my license is written in a different alphabet?
Requirements for Renting a Car with Adobe Rent a Car
In order to rent a vehicle from Adobe Rent a Car, all customers must meet certain requirements. In this article, we will explain the car rental process and answer some of the most frequently asked questions.
Which are the basic car rental requirements?
- Valid driver’s license with more than 2 consecutive years of issue. Valid for 90 days from the entrance to Costa Rica.
- A valid driver’s license. If it is not in the Latin alphabet or a digital license, it must be presented with the International License.
- Passport with entry stamp to Costa Rica valid for no more than 90 days from entry to the country.
- Original identity card for Costa Ricans.
- A MasterCard, VISA, or American Express card for the vehicle deposit. The credit card must have the cardholder’s name printed on it and it must be the same person who picked up the vehicle. We do not accept debit cards or cash.
- Drivers must be at least 23 years old.
How much is the security deposit?
The Adobe vehicle security deposit is $1,000. Make sure that your credit card has sufficient funds available to cover the transaction. If no damages or fines are incurred during your rental, the full deposit will be reimbursed to your account. Any incurred fees will otherwise be deducted accordingly.
Can I pay with cash?
Adobe does not accept cash as a form of payment. However, your rental car costs (daily rates and insurance coverage) can be paid for with either a debit or credit card.
Don’t forget the security deposit can only be made with a credit card. Cash and debit cards will not be accepted for the deposit.
Why do I have to present my passport?
If you’re a foreigner, you will need to present an original and valid passport. This is both to verify your identity as well as to ensure your Costa Rica 90-day immigration permit is valid. Under Costa Rican law, foreigners can use their country’s driver’s license for 90 days. After 90 days, the license is no longer valid.
Why do I have to present my driver’s license if I already have an International License?
An International Driver’s License basically states that your home license is legal and valid in your country. This is not an authorization to drive, it only indicates that the license from your country is legitimate.
We do not require an international license; but if you bring it, you must submit both.
What if my license is written in a different alphabet?
If your home license is not written in the Roman alphabet (such as Arabic, Farsi, Hebrew, Mandarin), we cannot verify that it is valid. In this case, we require that you also present an International Driver’s License.
If you have any additional questions or concerns about our car rental requirements, please don’t hesitate to contact us by email at email@example.com or call us directly at +1 (855) 861-1250 and we will be happy to assist you. We aim to make your trip to Costa Rica as hassle-free and as pleasant as possible.
US & CAN Toll Free:
(8 am-5 pm Central Time)
(506) 8494-5956 Monday to Saturday 8 am – 5 pm and Sunday 9 am – 3 pm.